Golf Cart Registration
The City of Mount Dora encourages multimodal transportation and the use of golf carts on city streets is common within surrounding cities and towns throughout Central Florida. As such, City Council adopted Ordinance No. 2023-06, authorizing the operation of golf carts on certain public streets, pursuant to Florida Statutes Chapter 316.
- Golf carts can operate twenty-four hours a day, every day of the year, unless a City Right of Way is closed for a special event or other City purpose;
- The driver must be of the age of 16 or older with a valid driver's license;
- The driver must abide by traffic regulations;
- Golf Carts are prohibited on bicycle paths or sidewalks;
- Golf Carts can only transport seated passengers, the number of passengers the golf cart is designated to carry;
- Golf Carts can only operate on City designated streets.
Golf carts must be equipped with enhanced safety equipment:
- Driver’s side exterior mirror
- Either an interior rear view mirror or a passenger’s side exterior mirror
- Headlamps and tail lamps
- Brakes and parking brake
- Front and rear turn signals
- Steering apparatus
- Rear and side reflex reflectors
- Rear facing seats must include safety grab bars/rails (new)
Registration Fee: $25.00
Annual Renewal: $10.00
1. Residents seeking to operate a golf cart within the City limits of Mount Dora must be issued a Golf Cart permit. Golf Cart Permits are available to all residents, regardless if their property is located within the City limits.
2. The Applicant must complete the application and applicant affidavit. The Applicant must provide proof of complying with the insurance requirements for the golf cart named on the application and a copy of their driver’s license. Incomplete applications will cause delays.
3. Once the application and affidavit are completed and the supplemental documents are compiled, the application package may be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at the Mount Dora Police Department at 1300 N Donnelly Street, Mount Dora, Florida. Our Office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
4. City staff will review the application package for compliance with City regulations. If additional information is needed, Staff will contact the Applicant.
5. Once approved, the applicant will be contacted to pick up the permit at the Mount Dora Police Department and pay the annual registration fee. The City accepts checks, money orders, and debit/credit cards for payment.
6. Upon issuance of the permit sticker, the applicant must place the sticker on the lower driver’s side bumper or fender. Once issued, the permit is not transferable to any other golf cart or golf cart owner.
7. This registration is for only golf carts which are defined under Chapter 316.212, F.S. If your golf cart is modified to exceed 20 mph, it is considered a low speed vehicle (LSV). By law, LSV’s must be registered, titled, and insured under the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles. Please contact your local FDHSMV office for details. LSV’s are not allowed on sidewalks or streets with posted speed limits above 35 m.p.h.
8. This permit is to authorize use of golf carts on city streets. Private streets and Homeowner Associations may have separate rules and regulations for golf cart operations.