Code Compliance Services

About City Codes

The Mount Dora City Council has established codes and ordinances to ensure that our City is kept beautiful. City codes protect the health, safety, and quality of life for Mount Dora residents, visitors, and business people. This process is called Code Compliance and falls under the purview of the Economic Development Department.

Our Code Compliance Officer is responsible for ensuring compliance with the City’s codes and ordinances. On behalf of our citizens, the City has a vested interested in avoiding overgrown lots, abandoned vehicles, violations of the zoning ordinances, and a myriad of other violations that make the City look shoddy or unkempt.

Enforcing City codes keep property values up, brings tourism, and business activity to our area, and makes living in our City a joy and a pleasure. Many areas of the City are under additional Home Owners Associations (HOA) rules. These rules are not enforceable by Code Compliance.

Code Violations

Common code violations are listed as follows. This website will serve to enhance the understanding and cooperation between Code Compliance and the citizens of Mount Dora. The resolution of code violations is described in City ordinances and utilizes a Special Magistrate hearing process for final resolution. Special Magistrate hearing dates, times, and agendas regarding Code Compliance are listed in the Boards & Committees Information and Meeting Notices section of the website.

Filing a Complaint

Most Code Compliance cases are initiated by Mount Dora residents. If you suspect a code violation in your neighborhood, please report it to Code Compliance. Once filed, the matter will be investigated within a short period of time. If the problem reoccurs after having been corrected, please report the problem again.

Boat and Recreational Vehicles

Boats, recreational vehicles, utility trailers, and motor homes shall not be permitted in front yards and shall not be permitted in side yards if the length exceeds twenty-five (25) feet.

Building Permitting

Most new interior and exterior renovations require a building permit. Check for compliance with current codes and information on permitting with the Building Department.


No person shall within the City allow their property to become filled with materials, trash, garbage, or rubbish of any kind, or other waste materials.

Disabled or Abandoned Vehicles

It shall be unlawful for any person who shall own or occupy real property within the City to have upon the property any dismantled, disabled, or abandoned vehicles. An abandoned or disabled vehicle is any motor vehicle or parts thereof that does not have any of the following: a current motor vehicle tag, inflated tires, or is not in running condition.

Fence Permitting

The construction of any fence shall require a building permit from the Building Department. Walls or fences of wood construction must be constructed so the exposed framing of each section faces the interior yard.

Garage Sales

Garage sales shall be permitted after the issuance of a permit. Such permit shall be good for not more than three (3) days, and no permit for the same parcel shall be issued more often than two (2) times per year. Any signs advertising such sales shall be removed from the property immediately at the conclusion of the sale. Signs are not permitted on telephone poles or in right-of-ways.

Home Occupational Licensing

Home occupations are allowed as conditional uses only when there is no appearance of commercial activity. No signs shall be permitted. Pick-up and delivery traffic shall not exceed normal traffic to and from other residences in the neighborhood.

Refuse Containers and Points of Collection

Refuse containers used for curbside pickup service shall be placed for collection at ground level on the property. Placement shall be along the street or alley line on the side of the street or alley from which collection is made. Placement for collection shall be no earlier than the evening proceeding collection. Receptacles shall be removed from the street or alley line no later than the evening of the day of collection.

Large Trash Pick-ups

Large trash pick-ups need to be scheduled with Waste Management. Placement shall be along the street or alley line on the side of the street or alley from which collection is made. Placement for collection shall be no earlier than the event preceding collection.

Overgrown Property

No person shall within the City allow his or her property to become overgrown with weeds, vegetation, or other plant matter.

Sign Permitting

No person shall erect, alter, repair, or relocate any sign without first obtaining a building permit. The following signs are prohibited and shall be removed immediately: Any sign placed on city right-of-way, banner signs, pennants, spinners, wind-operated devices, snipe signs, free-standing or portable signs, trailer signs, and/or bench signs.

Trash Disposal on Streets

It shall be unlawful for any person to deposit, throw, discard or place any trash, litter, paper, garbage, cans, bottles, leaves, grass clippings, or other waste materials onto any public street or sidewalk.

Other Common Complaints

  • Illegal Dumping
  • Junk and Accumulated Debris
  • Mobile Vendor on private property
  • Number of people living in a residence
  • Tree limbs blocking the right-of-way
  • Parking on Lawns
  • Properties in Substandard Condition